Situated inside Congo’s Odzala-Kokoua National Park, Mboko Camp rests upon a savannah and next to the Lekoli River.
The largest of Odzala’s camps, Mboko’s 12 guest rooms extend along the banks of a free-flowing tributary of the Lekoli River. Positioned in an area of lush meadow-like grassland, frequented by forest buffalo, forest elephant and spotted hyena, Mboko gives a sense of the scale of Odzala while also allowing you to focus on some of the smaller details: flowers and butterflies (depending on the season) can be seen in profusion. Mboko Camp offers visitors breathtaking views of the interface between the tropical rainforest and grassland savannah where hundreds of towering termite mounds help create an otherworldly experience.
10 double occupancy cabins and 2 family cabins are nestled along the Lekoli River in amongst the lush green forest which provides a feeling of privacy. Each cabin has a deck with lounge chairs on which you can rest and listen to the tranquillity of the river babbling past you.
Mboko provides you with spectacular star-viewing opportunities before you fall asleep to the sounds of life-giving water flowing to meet the Congo River, and also offers access to nearby villages on the fringes of the Park, where you can met and interact with local people.
Forest Buffalo and Elephant are common visitors to Mboko Camp. You can often catch Forest Buffalo having breakfast in the morning mist of the savannah. In the evening look out into the darkness in search for fireflies. At night, use your torch and see if you can catch a spotted hyaena in action. These are in additional to Colobus Monkey, Grey Parrot and Bock sightings.
Many activities at Lango and Mboko are a combination of driving and / or walking and boating allowing you access to the most productive and beautiful areas of the Concession, and the best possible wildlife viewing once there.
• Exploring the nearby bai and associated swampy open areas, the Lekoli River, surrounding savannah and forest areas
• Spot wildlife from the Camp: Forest Buffalo and Harnessed Bushbuck are regular visitors
• Enjoy the antics of resident Cercophithecus nictitans (putty nose monkeys) in the gallery forests in front of camp
• Walk the 700m nature board walk through the semi flooded forest near Mboko
• Adventure trails along the edges of forested areas give insights into the arboreal world
• Drift silently down the Lekoli River, watching out for primates, birds and forest elephant on the banks
• Spot dwarf crocodiles, forest ducks and kingfishers – and maybe even a hippo
• Look out for hyaena, aardvark, and serval on savannah game drives by day and night
• Enjoy a chorus of strangely melodious forest sounds after dark